Skip to main content
Canberra Antique and Classic Motor Club
Our Club
Committee by laws
Club Constitution
Concessional Rego Guidlines
Membership and Registration Contacts
Club Committee
Membership Form
Upcoming Events
Past Events 2013 onwards
Past Events before 2013
Presentation Night
Post Vintage
Rusty Relics
Member's Gallery
1924 Vauxhall 23/60 Tourer
Bullnose Morris Number 1
1926 Model T Tourer
1926 Bullnose Morris Cowley Runabout
1928 Studerbaker Sedan
1928 Austin 7
1929 Buick Sports Coupe
1930 Model A Ford Coupe
1947 Rover 16 Sedan
1948 Plymouth Coupe
1948 DE Daimler 36HP
1950 Studebaker Champion Sedan
1951 Lagonda Sedan
1946 Mercury Ute
My '37 Vauxhall
Pre 1954 car stories
1954 Triumph TR 2 Roadster
1954 Mercedes Benz Type 220 Sedan
1956 Buick Special Sedan
1956 AC Aceca
1956 Hillman Husky
1962 Fiat 600 C
1963 Fiat 1500 Sedan
1964 Humber Vogue - Estate
1967 Mustang Convertable
1971 Ford Fairlane
1971 MGB Roadster
1972 Austin 3-Litre
1972 Vanden Plas - Princess
1973 Volvo 164E Sedan
1975 Citroen Pallas
Jimmy's Motor Vehicle
Mustang Makes 50
The Story of My Bolwell
1959 FC Holden
Post 1954 car stories
Please Identify these Cars
Saved from the Grave
Films - Classic Adds 1
Films - Classic Adds 2
Films - Assembly lines
Films - Inventions
Photos - Old
Photos - Stars Cars
Photos - Strange Old Cars
1946 Holden Prototype
Engines - Big and Small
1960 Chev Impala Sedan
The Day the Queen Came to Town
Geoff Halls' 1938 Austin 7
Shifting Gear
Photos, Films, Restorations
For Sale / Wanted
Club Shop
Links to other sites
Ads, Links

I'm not one of those that are good at writing stories but since it has been three years since I joined the club, I will try to put few words together and hope that it will make a story about my 1947 Rover 16.

I always yearned that one day I will buy some old car, preferably a post war British car, the choice was simply nostalgic as they were the most common cars on the small ex-British colony of Malta, at the time that I was a young boy. When I was growing up I used to go and help my late father in the garage, he was a mechanic, of all things mechanical. People used to bring to him any thing from cars, trucks, motor bikes and motor scooters, to fixed engines and rotary hoes.

As a tradition, when my kids were young, and we still do it today sometimes when they are not studying, we used to go for a Sunday drive and every time we bump into a group of people having a picnic next to their old car it used to be a mandatory stop. My good wife sensed that that was a kind of love that she was happy to compete with, so she started to encourage me to buy an old car.

It was in April of 1993 that I was scouring the motor section of the Canberra Times and there among the Rovers I saw this 1947 Rover 16 for sale with a price that I thought I could manage. I showed it to my wife and she said to ring up and arrange to go and see it on Sunday and we would make it part of the Sunday drive.

In the afternoon of the next day my wife and I put the two kids in our little Prairie Station wagon and went from Latham to Farrer to see the Rover. There in a garage under a house was this old lady sitting quietly waiting for someone to take her out of there after 8 years locked up. I gave it a good check; it was complete, no damage to the body or the interior, although it had some rat damage to the felt under the dash board. The engine was intact except for the oil line to the oil gauge which was disconnected. The owner was nice and he told me that the car was last registered in Cooma and it used to be used for weddings. Prior to that, in 1972 the car was garaged in Penrith, this I know from the certificate of permit that I have to operate the unregistered vehicle.

After about half an hour of looking, checking this and that and asking questions I said to the owner that I will go and think about it and I will give him a call during the coming week. We buckled back the kids in their child seats and carried on with our usual Sunday drive and you guessed it, the topic of the afternoon it was about the old Rover.

My wife liked it and that was it. On Monday the next day I rang Bill
and negotiated a price that he and I were happy with. On Tuesday I organised a tow truck to bring the car to Latham where it sat covered in the driveway for about 6 months before it headed back to Farrer where it has been for the last 13 years waiting patiently for me to get her back on the road again.

In the last year I started to do some work on the Rover and hopefully I will get it running in the next 12 months baring unforeseen problems.